Elec­tronic cig­a­rette ex­plodes, killing Florida man

The Philippine Star - - WORLD NEWS - — NYT

NEW YORK — An elec­tronic cig­a­rette ex­ploded and killed a man in Florida this month, the au­thor­i­ties said, in what ap­pears to be the first death at­trib­uted to va­p­ing prod­ucts in the United States.

The man, Tall­madge D’Elia, 35, was at his home in St. Pe­ters­burg, Florida on May 5 when his e-cig­a­rette ex­ploded, ac­cord­ing to Wil­liam Pel­lan, di­rec­tor of in­ves­ti­ga­tions at the med­i­cal ex­am­iner’s of­fice for Pinel­las County.

He con­firmed that the cause of the ac­ci­den­tal death was a “pro­jec­tile wound to the head,” and that D’Elia had suf­fered burns on about 80 per­cent of his body. It ap­peared that the ex­plo­sion had started a fire in the bed­room where he was found.

One of the pieces re­moved from his head fea­tured the logo of Smok-E Mountain Mech Works, which is based in the Philip­pines.

The com­pany’s owner did not im­me­di­ately re­spond to an e-mail re­quest­ing com­ment on Wed­nes­day, but a rep­re­sen­ta­tive told ABC Ac­tion News that its de­vices do not ex­plode, adding that the prob­lem may have stemmed from the bat­tery.

Smok-E Mountain makes a par­tic­u­lar type of e-cig­a­rette called a me­chan­i­cal mod.

Com­pared with more com­mon types of e-cig­a­rettes, me­chan­i­cal mods typ­i­cally give users more di­rect ac­cess to the bat­tery and do not use in­ner cir­cuitry to reg­u­late the volt­age.

Ac­cord­ing to the US Fire Ad­min­is­tra­tion, elec­tronic cig­a­rettes that use lithium-ion bat­ter­ies are more prone to ex­plo­sion.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Philippines

© PressReader. All rights reserved.