MEDIC ONE STEP PREGNANCY TEST
All it takes is 3 drops; 3 minutes to know.
Pregnancy is a life-changer. For the woman who wants it, knowing she’s pregnant is bliss; for the unprepared, it can mean a lot of challenges ahead. But whether a woman’s pregnancy is a decision or an accidental, confirmation is foremost in her mind.
A number of hormones are involved in pregnancy, one of which is called human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) or pregnancy hormone. It is produced when a fertilized egg implants in the uterus, usually about six days after the egg and sperm merge. It is the presence or absence of HCG that indicates whether a woman is pregnant or not during a pregnancy test.
There are two types of pregnancy tests – one uses a blood sample and the other uses a urine sample. Blood testing for pregnancy tests needs to be done in the clinic by a doctor and can therefore be expensive and inconvenient. Urine testing is also done by doctors but nowadays women prefer to do it themselves privately using a Home Pregnancy Test (HPT) which is easy to use and inexpensive.
Used correctly, HPT’S can be reliable and accurate. There are a few things a woman who wants to know if she is pregnant should do to get the best results:
- Choose your HPT wisely. There are various HPT kits in the market and you will do yourself a big favor by purchasing the one made by a reputable company that has been around for a while
- Be sure to check the expiry date of the kit you are buying as an expired kit will not give accurate results
- Keep your HPT kit at room temperature
- Read and understand the instructions on the HPT’S literature or label and follow them precisely
- Do not drink extra amounts of water the previous day as this will make the urine more dilute and make it more difficult to detect the HCG
- Use the first urine sample in the morning as this is more concentrated
- Collect the urine in a clean and dry cup or container and use it for the test within 15 minutes
- Make sure that whatever medication you are taking does not interfere with the pregnancy test results; read the literature of your medication or check with your doctor first
Among the existing brands in the market, probably the most reliable is MEDIC, a One-step Pregnancy Test with over 99% accuracy. With its ultra-sensitive technology, MEDIC can detect HCG on the first day of missed period on women with regular menstrual cycle.
MEDIC One-step Pregnancy Test is easy to use. All you need is 3 drops of your urine on the strip and a short waiting time of 3 minutes to get the result: one stripe (NEGATIVE) means you are not pregnant and two stripes (POSITIVE) means you are.
So if you missed your period and suspect you are pregnant, you don’t need to guess, consult a manghuhula, buy a pack of tarot cards or play the ouija board.
DID YOU KNOW….
- The earliest written records of a urine-based pregnancy tests date back to 1350 BC. Egyptian women who might be pregnant would urinate on wheat and barley seeds for seven days. If the barley grew, it meant a male child; if the wheat grew, it meant a female child. If both did not grow it meant there was no pregnancy.
- Selmar Aschheim and Bernhard Zondek introduced testing based on the presence of HCG in 1928. In their test an infantile female mouse was injected subcutaneously with urine of the woman to be tested, and later the mouse was sacrificed. Presence of ovulation indicated that the urine contained HCG and meant that the woman was pregnant. A similar test was developed using immature rabbits, the rabbit test. Here, too, it was necessary to kill the animal to check its ovaries. An improvement arrived with the frog test that was still used in the 1950s. A female frog was injected with serum or urine of the patient. If the frog produced eggs within the next 24 hours, the test was positive. In the frog test, the animal remained alive, and could be used again.
- The first home test kit for HCG was invented in 1968 by Margaret (Meg) Crane in New York. She was granted two U.S. patents: 3,579,306 and 215,774. The kits went on the market in the U.S. and Europe in the mid-1970s.
- Medical Center Trading Corporation, distributor of MEDIC One-step Pregnancy Test was established in
1946 and became a subsidiary of the Mercury Group of Companies in 1972. It is now one of the country’s leaders in importation, distribution, and marketing of hospital, medical, dental, surgical and laboratory equipment and supplies. MCTC has branches in Metro Manila, Cebu City, Davao City, Iloilo City, Lipa City, San Fernando City, Pampanga, and Urdaneta City in Pangasinan.
HOW ACCURATE ARE HOME PREGNANCY TESTING KITS? MEDIC ONE-STEP PREGNANCY TEST FROM MCTC