DID YOU KNOW THAT THE PALÁCIO DA LOUSÃ BOUTIQUE HOTEL IS A HISTORIC BUILDING?
The Palace of the Viscountess of Espinhal, it was built in the late 18th century. The construction of the central edifice was concluded in 1818 by the children of Magistrate Bernardo Salazar.
The famous Viscountess of Espinhal, after whom the palace is named, was the daughter of Magistrate Bernardo Salazar and was awarded the title in 1868 by King Luís. She was renowned among the town's inhabitants as the great benefactress of Lousã. Dona Maria da Piedade de Melo Sampaio Salazar subsequently died in 1882, without being able to finish the magnificent building which bears her name.
The Palace is extremely important not just because it is the most imposing building in the district but also because it represents the evolution of the regional style at the end of the 18th century and early and mid19th century.
The main entrance was added and the central section of the edifice was built during the neoclassic period, in 1818, skillfully blending the lines of the previous tradition with the new style. The composition of the top, the pinnacles in the form of urns and the round shield confer an unusual aspect. The sculpted coat-of-arms consists of a shield divided into 4 quarters.
The four quarters of the coatof-arms depict the arms of the Eça (5 escutcheons united by the girdle of St. Francis), Arnaut (6 black lions), Salazar (13 eightpointed stars) and Sarmento (13 bezants) families.
The Palace is associated with episodes from the French Invasion. "It is known that Marshal Massena, commander of Napoleons troops, stayed in this house. In 1811, the troops commanded by Marshal
Ney were subject to an unexpected nocturnal attack by AngloPortuguese troops and leaped from the narrow medieval bridge over the Ceira River in panic after having been defeated. In the meanwhile, Massena was preparing to sit down for dinner but when he heard this news (the disaster which had befallen the French troops at the battle of Foz de Arouce) he fled in haste. Shortly thereafter, the Duke of Wellington made a triumphant entrance into Lousã and, sitting down at the table Massena had abandoned, he was able to savor with redoubled delight the dinner which had been prepared for his enemy..." (Nelson Correia Borges, Coimbra e Região, adapted). On that day the Duke of Wellington wrote a report describing the events, which is a historical campaign document). 42 rooms and 4 suites
A Viscondessa Restaurant
Outdoor swimming pool
Meeting center with 5 rooms
Children's play area
Organization of weddings and events