From soothing balms to doggy breath freshening desserts, these DIY pet projects are fun, wholesome, and will make your furkid one very happy camper.
Get creative with these wholesome DIY pet projects.
Frequent contact with hot sand or rough pavement may cause Fido’s paw pads to become dry and crackly. Made with just four ingredients, this multi-purpose balm not only keeps your pup’s paws and snout soothed and supple, it also provides calming benefits and is completely safe even if he licks it off.
2 tbsp organic cold pressed virgin coconut oil
2 tbsp beeswax
1 tbsp sweet almond oil
8 drops pure lavender essential oil
1 glass jar or heat-proof container with a 118ml capacity
• In a bain-marie, heat the coconut oil and beeswax. As the latter melts, stir continuously to ensure the ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.
• Remove from heat and add in the sweet almond oil and lavender essential oil. Stir well.
• Pour into the container. Let it solidify and cool completely before applying to your pooch’s paws and nose.
• Store the balm in a cool, dry place.
Paws up if you would like a cold one on a sunny day! There’s no booze in this glass, but your pooch will be begging for more of this refreshing dessert. Loaded with healthy ingredients like berries, mint, oats and yoghurt, this parfait also doubles as a breath freshener.
1 tall glass
227g plain yoghurt
½ cup berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries), coarsely chopped (keep one or two whole for garnishing)
1 banana, peeled and sliced
½ cup rolled oats
4 mint leaves
2 bone-shaped dental treats
• Scoop a dollop of yoghurt into the glass.
• Top with a layer of berries.
• Scoop another dollop of yoghurt into the glass.
• Layer with sliced bananas.
• Add another layer of yoghurt and finish the final layer with a handful of rolled oats.
• Garnish with whole berries, mint leaves, and dental treats.
• Serve to your pooch immediately.
If your pupper is prone to hotspots, constantly scratches or has a lot of dander, it’s worth concocting a wash that you know doesn’t contain any potential skin irritants and is packed with nourishing, soothing natural ingredients. It smells so good, we might just pinch some for our next shower!
2 cups water
1 sprig rosemary
½ cup rolled oats
½ cup baking soda
3 tablespoons pure liquid castile soap 5 drops pure lavender essential oil 5 drops pure lemon essential oil
• Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a saucepan. Add the sprig of rosemary and let it steep for a couple of minutes.
• Remove the rosemary-infused water from the heat and let it cool to warm. Set aside.
• Blitz the rolled oats in a food processor until it has the texture of slightly coarse flour.
• Transfer the blended oats to a mixing bowl and add the baking soda. Incorporate thoroughly. • Add the rosemary-infused water and stir until well-blended.
• Add the pure liquid castile soap and essential oils. Stir or shake to mix well.
• Use on your pooch as you would a regular shampoo.