Salted Sesame Oil Duck Leg Confit
Serves 2 MEDIUM
2 pcs duck leg, bone-in and skin on 50ml Chee Seng Sesame Oil
50ml duck fat or canola oil
60g mesclun salad
12 pcs orange segments
4 tsp Chee Seng Sesame Oil
For the salt rub
113g rock salt
8g crushed black peppercorn
Special equipment: Sous vide machine
1. Prepare the salt rub. Combine salt, sugar and peppercorns.
2. Coat each duck leg with 1 tbsp of salt mixture, rubbing it in and adding a bit more on the thicker part of the leg. Transfer to a plate, clingwrap and chill in the fridge overnight.
3. When ready to cook, rinse the duck legs and pat dry with kitchen paper towels. Transfer duck legs into two resealable bags.
4. Combine the sesame oil and canola oil, then pour equally into the two bags. Remove as much air as possible, then seal the bags.
5. Cook at 76ºC for 12 hrs in a sous vide machine, until tender.
6. When cooked, transfer the duck legs from the bags and pat them dry with paper kitchen towel. Heat 1 tbsp of sesame oil in a non-stick pan. Pan-fry the duck legs, skin-down, until the skin is golden and crispy, about 5 mins.
7. Drizzle the sesame oil over the mesclun salad and arrange the orange segments.
8. Serve the duck legs with the salad. Enjoy!