Buckwheat & Chia Seed Bread
This dense bread offers a good crunch in every bite and is best paired with your favourite jam or relish.
600g whole raw buckwheat groats* 120g whole black chia seeds
1.5L + 250ml + 250ml water 120ml olive oil
3 tsp gluten-free baking powder* 1 tsp sea salt
For the seed mixture
1/2 tsp golden flaxseeds
1/2 tsp white sesame seeds
1/2 tsp black chia seeds
1/2 tsp sunflower seeds
1/2 tsp pumpkin seeds
22 x 11-cm loaf tin
1. Preheat oven to 160°C.
2. Soak buckwheat groats in 1.5L cold water for 2 hrs until softened. Soak chia seeds in 250ml cold water for 30 mins until they become gel-like.
3. Remove buckwheat from water and strain with a fine sieve. In a food processor, add buckwheat, chia gel, 250ml water, olive oil, baking powder, sea salt and blend for 3 mins or more until it reaches a batter-like consistency.
4. Prepare seed mixture. Combine the seeds in a bowl. Spoon half of the mixture into the bread batter and stir well.
5. Spoon the bread batter into loaf tin lined with baking paper on the base and all 4 sides. Scatter the remaining half of seed mixture on top.
6. Bake for 1 hr 15 mins or until firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and cool for 30 mins on a rack before removing from the tin. Cool completely before serving.
Serves 4 MEDIUM
*Available at Ryan’s Grocery
Buckwheat & Chia Seed Bread TEACUP AND COASTER LOVERA COLLECTIONS MINIMALIST MATT GREY MUG AND WOODEN COASTER & BREAD PLATE LOVERA COLLECTIONS MINIMALIST MATT PINK RECTANGLE OVEN WOK PLATE