Seh Bak (Pork Belly and Offal Cooked in Rich Soy Sauce)
Serves 6 to 8 MEDIUM
This a a traditional Eurasian dish featuring pork belly and pig offal simmered in a dark soy sauce and spice broth.
600g pork belly, whole
200g pig’s intestines, soaked in salted
water for ½ hr before cooking 1 pig’s tongue
1 pig’s stomach
1 pair of pig’s ears
1 pig’s heart
10 tbsp dark soy sauce
150g rock sugar, add more if needed
80g Chinese lettuce, washed and peeled 2 pieces of beancurd, deep-fried and cut
into 8 small pieces each
1 cucumber, deseeded and sliced
Salt, to taste
For the spice mix
5 shallots, peeled
10 cloves garlic, peeled
8 tbsp cooking oil
3 star anise
2 sticks cinnamon
100g galangal, peeled and sliced
For the chilli sauce
30g chilli padi
100g red chilli
3 cloves garlic, peeled Juice from 10 limes 6 tbsp rice wine vinegar 6 tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
1. Prepare the spice mix. Combine shallots and garlic in a blender till you have a smooth and fine paste.
2. Heat oil in a deep saucepan over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the shallot-garlic paste, star anise, cinnamon sticks and galangal to the pan and fry till fragrant, about 12 mins.
3. Add the pork belly, intestines, tongue, stomach, ears and heart to the pan. Add dark soy sauce and cook till the soy sauce is well absorbed by the meat, about 15 to 20 mins.
4. Add water, rock sugar and cook over medium heat till all the different parts are cooked through. Test for doneness by piercing the different cuts with the tip of a sharp knife. Remove the offal from the saucepan and set aside to cool. Reserve the sauce, which should be slightly thick.
5. Cut the cooked offal to about 2-inch lengths each and slice the pork belly.
6. Prepare the chilli sauce. Combine all the ingredients into a blender till you have a fine paste.
7. Arrange the Chinese lettuce on a serving plate and place the pork belly and offal on the lettuce. Drizzle sauce over and serve with beancurd, cucumber and chilli paste. Serve with white rice, if desired.