Crispy Chinese Pancakes with Kaya
Serves 4 MEDIUM
Instead of red bean, we opted for a kaya spin on the traditional Chinese pancake.
55g plain flour
45g rice flour 200ml water
A pinch of salt
1 tbsp vegetable oil
Kaya, for spreading
1. Combine plain flour, rice flour, water and salt together in a bowl and whisk ingredients together.
2. Preheat pan over medium heat and brush with a layer of oil. Pour about 1 ladle of batter onto the pan and swirl around to form a thin disc. When the batter starts to cook and thicken, after about 1 min, flip it over and cook the other side for 2 mins. Set aside to cool. Repeat this step till you have 6 pancake crepes. Reserve 3 tbsp of batter for the next step.
3. To assemble, spread some kaya on a pancake, then layer with another pancake. Use the reserved batter to seal the sides. Set aside and repeat until all the pancakes are used up.
4. Heat some oil in a pan over medium heat. Slide in the pancakes and cook for 3 to 4 mins on each side until crispy. When cooked, drain excess oil on paper towels.
5. Cut into desired portions and serve warm.
Crispy Chinese Pancake