Yoghurt Cream Biscuit Roll Cake
Makes one 28-cm roll cake DIFFICULT
Delicate sponge cake filled with yoghurt cream and topped with fresh fruits.
A selection of fresh fruit (kiwi, strawberries, raspberries, mangoes and bananas or canned fruit such as pears and yellow peaches)
For the biscuit sponge
90g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
90g pastry flour, sifted twice Icing sugar as needed
For the yoghurt cream
200g whipping cream (35% fat) 20g caster sugar
For the whipped cream
100g whipping cream (35% fat) 2 tsp caster sugar
1 28-cm square Swiss roll cake pan
1. To make yoghurt cream, leave yoghurt to drain in a coffee filter and dripper in the refrigerator for at least 3 hrs until yoghurt is about 100g.
2. Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a 28cm square Swiss roll cake pan with parchment paper.
3. Prepare biscuit sponge. Separate egg whites and yolks. Beat yolks lightly and add half the sugar and vanilla. Whisk until mixture thickens and becomes pale.
4. Prepare meringue. Place egg whites in a clean bowl and beat until foamy. Add remaining sugar and beat until stiff peaks form and meringue is glossy.
5. Add one-third of meringue into egg yolk mixture and fold lightly. Add flour and fold well, then add remaining meringue and fold through until just incorporated.
6. Spoon batter into a piping bag fitted with a 1-cm round piping tip. Pipe diagonal lines to fill cake pan. (Any extra batter can be used to make finger-shaped biscuit sponges.) Dust batter twice with icing sugar, then bake for 7–10 mins. Remove cake from pan and place on a wire rack to cool.
7. Prepare yoghurt cream. Combine whipping cream and sugar into a clean bowl. Place over another bowl filled with ice cubes and water. Using an electric mixer, whisk cream at medium speed until stiff peaks form and cream is smooth. Add drained yoghurt and mix well.
8. Assemble biscuit roll. Turn cooled cake onto a clean work surface. Peel off parchment paper and spread with an even layer of yoghurt cream. Arrange your choice of fruit on cream, then gently roll up. Cover with cling wrap and chill in the freezer for about 10 mins.
9. Make whipped cream. Combine ingredients in a clean bowl and whisk as with yoghurt cream. Spoon cream into a piping bag fitted with a 1-cm star tip. Pipe cream to decorate cake, then top with your choice of fruit.
NOTE: You can use any flavour of whipped cream and vary the selection of fruit in the roll cake.