ALL THINGS SWEET AND WONDERFUL
Inviting, unpretentious, and easy to love, these sweet recipes by Nesuto Patisserie are bound to impress your guests
Inviting, unpretentious and easy to love, these sweet recipes by Nesuto Patisserie are bound to impress your guests
Almond Orange Cake with Vanilla Bavaroise Mousse
Makes an 8-inch cake MEDIUM
A delightful gluten-free option that tastes as good as it looks. The best part—you can make ahead and chill.
250g caster sugar
Zest from 1 orange
Zest from ½ lemon
250g ground almond powder A pinch of cinnamon powder
For the vanilla bavaroise cream
4 sheets gelatin
200g whole milk
200g + 400g whipping cream
96g egg yolks
60g caster sugar
½ tsp vanilla essence with seeds*
8-inch round cake tin
1. Preheat oven to 170°C.
2. Combine all the ingredients for the cake in a food processor, and blend till well combined.
3. Grease an 8-inch round cake tin, line the sides and bottom with parchment paper.
4. Pour blended mixture into cake tin and bake for 18 to 25 mins. To check if cake is done, insert a toothpick or cake tester into the cake; it should come out clean.
5. Leave the cake in the cake tin and let it cool on a wire rack. Once cooled, transfer tin to a freezer.
6. Prepare vanilla bavaroise cream. Place gelatin sheets in a bowl of iced water and let it bloom, about 5 mins.
7. Combine milk, 200g whipping cream, egg yolks, granulated white sugar, vanilla essence with seeds in a pot. Whisk till well combined.
8. Place the pot over medium heat and whisk continuously till the mixture reaches 85°C or the mixture thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon.
9. Remove from heat, then add bloomed gelatin sheets. Mix well.
10. Strain mixture into a clean bowl, then cover the bowl with cling film and place in the fridge for 30 mins.
11. Whip the remaining 400g whipping cream until medium peaks.
12. Remove cream mixture from the fridge, and fold in the whipped cream. Pour the whipped cream mixture into the ‘chilled’ baked orange almond cake tin and leave it in the freezer overnight.
13. Once cake is frozen, remove it from the cake tin and place on a cake board or plate.
14. Leave frozen cake in the fridge to thaw for about 3 hrs before serving.
*Available at Phoon Huat