Itek Dim (Duck and Salted Vegetable Soup)
Serves 6 EASY
“Every family has their own recipe for comfort dishes like these. This was how my mother made it, with just four ingredients and always with a broken green chilli and a dash of brandy over every bowl,” says Tan.
½ duck, cut into stewing pieces
280g giam chye (thick salted mustard cabbage), torn into large pieces
3 sour plums
2 small tomatoes, quartered
Sliced green chillies, to garnish
1 tbsp brandy, to serve
1. Soak giam chye in a bowl of water for 15 mins. Discard water and set giam chye aside.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Blanch duck in the water for 2 mins, allowing the scum to float to the top. Drain, rinse and set aside.
3. Place the duck, giam chye, sour plums and tomatoes in a large soup pot. Fill with the water.
4. Bring to a slow boil, uncovered.
5. Skim off any scum that floats to the top, then reduce heat to very low and cover the pot with its lid. Simmer gently for 2 hrs.
6. This will taste better the next day. To serve, garnish with sliced green chillies and drizzle with a tablespoon of brandy.
Tips: Once the soup has cooled, refrigerate overnight for better flavour. Refrigerating also allows you to spoon off the excess fat that will float to the surface and solidify.