French Poulet with Asparagus, Zucchini and Kampot Green Peppercorns
Serves 4 MEDIUM
Not quite your run-of-the-mill barbie dinner, this dish requires a little more effort and planning, but the results are well worth it.
1 French poulet*
Salt and pepper, as needed 50ml extra virgin olive oil 4 sprigs tarragon, chopped
For the pea and parmesan puree
1kg frozen peas, thawed
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 sprigs thyme, chopped
100g parmesan cheese, grated Juice from 2 lemons
For the grilled vegetables
2 zucchini, thinly sliced
10 large asparagus
200g unsalted French butter
Kampot green peppercorns, as needed
1/2 bunch dill, picked and finely chopped
Caper berries, to garnish
Micro herbs, to garnish
1. Prepare the pea and parmesan puree. Blanch the peas in a pot of boiling water until they float to the surface. Drain and refresh in a bowl of iced water.
2. Melt butter in a pan over medium heat, then sweat onion and thyme until cooked, about 15 mins. Stir in cream and remove from heat.
3. Transfer to a food processor and add peas, parmesan cheese and lemon juice. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
4. Prepare the poulet. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, then steam for 45 mins. Set aside to cool, then chop into smaller portions as desired.
5. Place chicken into individual bags with some olive oil and tarragon, and vacuum seal. Cook sous vide in a water bath at 60ºC for 3 hrs.
6. Remove the chicken from the vacuum bags and grill on a barbecue for 15 mins.
7. Prepare the vegetables. Lay the zucchini on a tray lined with paper. Sprinkle with salt and set aside for 30 mins. Rinse off the salt and pat dry with paper towels.
8. Blanch asparagus in boiling water, then refresh in a bowl of iced water. Slice asparagus into strips.
9. Grill zucchini and asparagus in the oven at 180ºC for 1 min on each side.
10. Heat butter in a pan over low heat until it turns brown, about 30 mins. Add in green peppercorns and cook, about 5 mins. Spoon the peppercorn butter over the asparagus and zucchini. Add chopped dill, squeeze the limes over, and season with sea salt to taste.
*Alternatively, use a good quality free-range chicken; available at mrfarmer.sg