Whole Kelong Red Snapper with Vibrant Garden Pickles
Serves 4 MEDIUM
There’s plenty to like about freshly grilled fish paired with tangy pickles to open up your appetite.
1 whole red snapper
3 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
3 limes, deseeded and sliced thinly
8 fresh bay leaves
4 sprigs tarragon
Extra virgin olive oil, as needed
Sea salt, as needed
2 lemons, cut into wedges
For the pickles
300ml Japanese rice vinegar
2 tsp sea salt
1 black radish or daikon, thinly sliced
1 baby red radish, thinly sliced
2 tbsp black sesame seeds
1. Prepare the pickles. Combine vinegar, mirin, sugar and salt in a small pot and bring to a boil over low heat. Boil till salt and sugar dissolve completely. Set aside to cool.
2. Steep the radishes in the pickle solution for 10 mins. Remove the pickled radishes and sprinkle sesame seeds over.
3. Prepare the “potato scales”. Toss potato with extra virgin olive oil and sea salt. Arrange potatoes in scalelike pattern on a tray lined with parchment paper. Place another layer of parchment paper over the potatoes, followed by another tray. Place a heavy ovenproof object on top of the tray to weigh it down.
4. Bake potatoes in a preheated oven at 180ºC for 30 mins, until golden brown and cooked. Remove potatoes from the tray and place on kitchen paper towels.
5. Prepare the snapper. Preheat a char-grill over high heat.
6. Place sliced limes, bay leaves and tarragon in the cavity of the snapper. Rub olive oil and salt on the skin of the snapper.
7. Place the snapper on the grill and cook for 4 to 5 mins. Turn the fish over and close the lid for another 5 mins to allow the fish to cook.
8. Transfer fish to a serving board, and arrange potato scales on top. Arrange pickles around snapper, and serve with lemon wedges.