Chocolate Sable with Dulcey Sea Salt Ganache
Makes 15 portions MEDIUM
Sweet, salty and a hint of bitter from the dark chocolate—there is plenty to like about these very grown-up flavours.
125g unsalted butter, softened
70g granulated white sugar
¼ tsp salt
128g plain flour
40g cocoa powder
½ tsp baking soda
100g 70% dark chocolate, finely chopped
For the dulcey sea salt ganache
170g Valrhona dulcey 32% chocolate A generous pinch of sea salt flakes 200g whipping cream (35% fat)
30g unsalted butter, softened
1. Preheat oven to 170°C.
2. Using a stand mixer fitted with whisk, combine butter, sugar and salt till pale and fluffy.
3. Sieve plain flour, cocoa powder and baking soda into a bowl. Stir in the finely chopped dark chocolate.
4. Pour the flour and chocolate mixture into the butter mixture. Whisk till all the ingredients are well combined. 5. Place sable dough between two sheets of baking paper, each measuring 20cm x 20-cm. Using rolling pin, flatten the dough and roll out to about 1-cm thick.
6. Chill the dough in the fridge for 30 mins.
7. After 30 mins, peel off the top piece of baking paper, leaving the bottom piece of baking paper intact.
8. Place sable dough on a baking tray and bake in the oven for 12 mins.
9. Using a round cutter measuring 3-cm in diameter, cut the sable while it is hot.
10. Prepare the dulcey sea salt ganache. Blend Valrhona dulcey chocolate and sea salt flakes in a food processor till well incorporated.
11. Heat whipping cream in a pot over medium heat till it comes to the boil. Pour whipping cream into the food processor with chocolate and combine. Add in butter and blend till incorporated.
12. Transfer mixture into a mixing bowl and cover with cling film. Chill in the fridge overnight.
13. To assemble, pour ducley sea salt ganache mixture into a piping bag with a star piping tip. Pipe the ganache on the sable and serve the chocolate sable chilled.