Spicy and crispy chicken briyani
Serves 3 to 4
• 2 boneless chicken thighs, cut into chunks and seasoned with salt and pepper
• 1 cup cooking oil
• Plain flour (for coating chicken)
• 2 pandan leaves, knotted
• 1 large white onion, peeled and chopped
• 2 cups rice, soaked for 20 minutes
• 3 cups chicken stock
• 2 tsp sugar
• Salt and pepper to taste
• ½ cup oyster mushrooms, cut into small pieces
• Spice paste for chicken and rice
• 2 stalks lemongrass (use the soft centre)
• 4 garlic cloves, peeled
• 5 shallots, peeled
• 3cm old ginger, peeled
• 1 tsp chilli powder
• 1 tsp curry powder
• 5 tbsp coconut oil
• 1 tsp salt
• 2 kaffir lime leaves
• 2 fresh red chillis, deseeded
• ½ tsp turmeric powder
1 Blend all ingredients for spice paste till smooth. Rub half the spice paste on the chicken pieces and marinate for 20 minutes.
2 Add cooking oil to a large pot over medium low fire. Lightly coat the marinated chicken with plain flour and pan-fry till golden brown. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
3 Remove the oil from the pot. Add the pandan leaves and onion, and cook until aromatic. Stir in 3 tbsp of the spice paste.
4 Stir in the rice and cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Pour in the stock and bring to a simmer.
5 Add the sugar, salt and pepper to taste, and cover the pot. Simmer for 10 to 12 minutes.
6 Add the crispy chicken pieces and oyster mushrooms on top of the rice, cover and cook for cook for another 8 to 10 minutes. Serve immediately.