Help­ing to turn tide for miss­ing kids

Cape Argus - - NEWS - Okhule Hlati

THE Surf Em­po­rium, which is con­cerned about the es­ca­lat­ing num­ber of miss­ing chil­dren and hu­man traf­fick­ing in South Africa, will con­tinue to raise funds for Miss­ing Chil­dren South Africa.

Surf Em­po­rium spokesper­son Natasha Capes said the ef­fort was ini­ti­ated last year and would con­tinue to be an an­nual thing as they saw the work of Miss­ing Chil­dren SA as very im­por­tant.

“We want to be part of a change. Last year we man­aged to raise R70 000 and this year we’re hop­ing for more.

“When we heard that in South Africa a child goes miss­ing ev­ery five hours and saw how they (Miss­ing Chil­dren SA) de­vote their time to bring miss­ing chil­dren home safely, we wanted to help.

“For­tu­nately, ac­cord­ing to Miss­ing Chil­dren SA’s sta­tis­tics, as many as 77% of the chil­dren are found. Sadly, this still leaves them with at least 23% of the chil­dren not be­ing lo­cated, largely at­trib­uted to huge bud­get re­straints.”

Na­tional case of­fi­cer and co-or­di­na­tor of Miss­ing Chil­dren SA Bianca van Aswe­gen said the or­gan­i­sa­tion was happy that its ef­forts were ap­pre­ci­ated and hoped to help more chil­dren.

“Par­ents get clo­sure when a child is found. If a child is not found we do not close cases.”

On Septem­ber 9, Surf Em­po­rium will host our an­nual Surf Em­po­rium Celebrity Surf Day to raise funds for the or­gan­i­sa­tion.

You can get in­volved in four easy ways: sign-up for a group surf les­son with your favourite South African celebri­ties; pur­chase a raf­fle ticket; spon­sor a child from Waves 4 Change and al­low them the op­por­tu­nity to join the celebrity surf les­son; or pur­chase celebrity mem­o­ra­bilia that has been do­nated.

WAVES FOR CHANGE: Surf Em­po­rium will host its an­nual Celebrity Surf Day on Septem­ber 9 to raise funds for Miss­ing Chil­dren South Africa.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.