Stu­dents reg­is­ter amid in­ten­si­fied se­cu­rity

Cape Times - - NEWS - Daniel Miles

PRE­TO­RIA: Petrol bombs were thrown and se­cu­rity mea­sures in­ten­si­fied as protests by out­sourced gen­eral work­ers at Pre­to­ria univer­si­ties con­tin­ued yes­ter­day

While the protests meant ac­tiv­i­ties at the univer­si­ties could not run smoothly, some stu­dent reg­is­tra­tion con­tin­ued.

The Univer­sity of Pre­to­ria, which ob­tained a court or­der bar­ring protests on cam­pus grounds, will re­main closed un­til fur­ther no­tice.

The univer­sity ob­tained a se­cond in­ter­dict against protests within 150m of any its en­trances. Petrol bombs were thrown at a truck at the univer­sity, caus­ing min­i­mal dam­ages.

Univer­sity spokesper­son Anna-Retha Bouwer said while they re­mained closed, stu­dents were en­cour­aged to reg­is­ter on­line.

Unisa said its cam­puses – closed to safe­guard lives and prop­erty – would be re­opened.

Unisa’s Sun­ny­side cam­pus was the scene of protests and at about 6am a re­cy­cling bin was set alight. Late morn­ing, a crowd led by the EFF Stu­dent Com­mand marched to the edge of cam­pus, where they were met by armed po­lice.

South African Stu­dent Congress (Sasco) branch sec­re­tary Ken­neth Tsikeli said stu­dents who had not been reg­is­tered were frus­trated. “But we are here to en­sure they are all as­sisted.”

Nguela Mirabeau, who reg­is­tered for his masters in elec­tri­cal en­gi­neer­ing, ar­rived at 7am and only left the reg­is­tra­tion hall at 2pm.

“I am re­lieved,” he said. “I came to reg­is­ter last week and it was not pos­si­ble.”

Ac­cord­ing to Tsikeli, while stu­dents had the­o­ret­i­cally been able to reg­is­ter since Jan­uary 4, this was only the third day they had been able to suc­cess­fully do so in per­son.

Unisa spokesper­son Martin Ramot­shela con­firmed reg­is­tra­tion would con­tinue un­til the end of the month. He added stu­dents were also able to reg­is­ter on­line. Ramot­shela said po­lice were present to en­sure the in­ter­dict against the pro­test­ers was en­forced.

At Tsh­wane Univer­sity of Tech­nol­ogy reg­is­tra­tion com­menced as sched­uled. Spokesper­son Willa de Ruyter said the only sign of pro­test­ers at the univer­sity was “an in­ci­dent at the Ar­ca­dia cam­pus, which was very quickly re­solved” by the po­lice.


ALERT: Po­lice es­cort Unisa stu­dents in Pre­to­ria on to the cam­pus to com­mence with the reg­is­tra­tion process.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.