Cape Times

Pregnant woman loses her home in fire

- Chevon Booysen

A NINE-MONTH pregnant woman was among residents displaced after a fire at their Pecos Walk home in Manenberg.

Nicolette Petersen, 34, was left traumatise­d after the father of her unborn child was admitted to Tygerberg Hospital with severe burns.

Petersen said she and her family slept in the gutted home because they could not find alternativ­e accommodat­ion on Tuesday.

“The fire started about 7.30am. I was asleep in the main house and it started in the backyard dwelling. When I woke the house was full of smoke and my partner was trying to douse the fire,” Petersen said.

Sandile Stampu, 45, is recovering in hospital.

Petersen, who is expected to give birth this week, said she had lost all the baby clothes she had bought.

City of Cape Town fire and rescue services spokespers­on Theo Layne said the cause of the blaze was yet to be determined, but Petersen’s sister, Bronwyn Jones, said it was a candle.

“Our families were separated after the fire looking for a place to sleep. We were not offered alternativ­e shelter,” she said.

Mayoral committee member for Area Central, Siyabulela Mamkeli, said yesterday that humanitari­an relief in the form of food parcels, blankets and vanity packs had been co-ordinated.

“The department has arranged for a container as temporary accommodat­ion for the family.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa