Zimbabwe announces end of military intervention operation
HARARE: The Zimbabwe Defence Forces (ZDF) have announced the end of their military intervention that culminated in the resignation of former president Robert Mugabe last month.
Commander of the Zimbabwe National Army Phillip Valerio Sibanda told a press conference that police had now resumed their normal duties following the end of the operation, codenamed Operation Restore Legacy.
“The defence and security forces come before you, once again, to pronounce the end of Operation Restore Legacy today, December 18,” said Sibanda, who was flanked by other senior members of the security forces.
The military said it launched the operation on November 13 with the aim of removing criminals who were surrounding the former president. The intervention eventually culminated in the resignation of Mugabe on November 21.
Sibanda said some of the criminals had been accounted for while others had skipped the country. He urged the nation to remain vigilant and report any suspicious objects and individuals, saying some members of the G40 faction that was aligned to former first lady Grace Mugabe were bent on harming peace and tranquillity in the country. The ZDF also urged the police to discharge their duties in accordance with the constitutional mandate and members of the public to respect, support and co-operate with the police. – Xinhua