SOME OF JOSÉ MOURINHO’S RECENT QUOTES:
● “[Can we] win the title? Of course not. But we can still finish fourth. It’s not easy, but for sure we are going to finish in the top six,” after a 3-1 loss to Liverpool that turned out to be his last game in the dugout.
● “During a season, you can have a big match then a smaller match, then one even smaller. You can lose your focus, you can lose your concentration, then comes a big match again.”
● “In the World Cup, the direction of the emotion, of the responsibility, of the big decisions is always growing up. So I think it was the perfect environment for [Paul Pogba].”
● “I gave a list to my club of five names a few months ago and I wait to see if it’s possible to have one of these players.
“If it’s possible, it’s possible. If it’s not, it’s not. If it’s possible, it’s good. If not then we keep fighting and working and believing in the players that we have.”
● “Did you read any philosopher? You spent time reading [German philosopher Georg] Hegel. Just as an example, Hegel says: ‘The truth is in the whole.’ [It is] always in the whole.”
● “You have no chance in the market unless you go to crazy numbers, or instead you go to what you call the second-level players and still have crazy numbers, but that second level is the level people say – and I agree – is not what Manchester United is.”
● “The target changed, but let’s try to close the distance as best as we can and be very close to these positions. We need some players to perform better than they are. We need to perform better as a team, but it would be far from a miracle.”