Kei Mouth victim ‘uneasy’
KEI Mouth murder victim Anne Roebert called police and a friend hours before she was killed because she felt uneasy.
The 76-year-old was found dead on Thursday morning.
Roebert’s granddaughter Jade Schultz said her grandmother’s body had been discovered by a close friend and a neighbour.
“She [friend] was on high alert because my grandmother had called her the night before telling her that she had seen something suspicious outside her house. She said she had already called the police,” said Schultz.
“My grandmother then called her later on to tell her the police came but left after they found nothing suspicious. The next morning, as [the friend] was taking her daily walk, she noticed that my grandmother had not yet opened up the house like she usually did every morning.”
Schultz said the friend had then called a male neighbour to come help her open up the house because she had been afraid of what she might find inside.
“She had keys to the house for times when my grandmother was out of town, so she used them to gain entry. That was when they found my grandmother’s body in her bedroom,” said Schultz.
Police said Roebert had been found with her hands tied behind her back with a cable.
Schultz, 27, was angered by her grandmother’s murder.
“We want justice to take its course. It’s scary to know that this person is still out there somewhere She was a loving grandmother who was sweet to everyone. She was loved and very well known. She did not deserve to die like that,” she said.
DA councillor Sharné Jacobs said the murder had left Kei Mouth residents horrified and
in her bedroom shocked.
“Everyone is just blown away by what happened to Anne. We have never experienced something of this nature where an elderly woman was killed, so residents are quite shaken up by it. Kei Mouth is quite safe and everyone takes the necessary precautions to be safe,” said Jacobs.
According to SAPS statistics released on Thursday, one murder had been reported in Kei Mouth between April 2011 and March 2012.
Minister Nathi Mthethwa announced an overall drop of 3.1% for murder figures in SA. However, the Eastern Cape recorded the second highest number of murders in the country after KwaZulu-Natal. — firstname.lastname@example.org