EFF ordered to pay R500k to Manuel
The high court in Johannesburg on Thursday ordered the EFF to pay former finance minister Trevor Manuel R500‚000 for defamatory and false statements made about him by the party. The EFF said it would appeal.
Judge Elias Matojane also ordered the EFF to remove a statement about Manuel – from all of its media platforms – about the interview process for the new SA Revenue Service (Sars) commissioner Edward Kieswetter.
Manuel went to court in response to an EFF statement on March 27‚ shared on the party’s official Twitter account‚ accusing him of nepotism and corruption in influencing the appointment of Kieswetter. Manuel chaired the selection panel which interviewed shortlisted candidates for the job.
Manuel had‚ however‚ recused himself when Kieswetter was interviewed because Kieswetter was Sars deputy commissioner at the time that Manuel was the country’s finance minister.
Earlier in May‚ the high court heard Manuel’s application‚ which was opposed by the EFF.
Manuel’s legal team described the ruling as a “huge vindication” and said the R500‚000 would be donated to charity.