Uncle in court after boy, 4, found beheaded
A man appeared in court on Monday accused of beheading his four-year-old nephew.
Bonani Njuze, 37, will appear again in the Tsomo magistrate’s court on Tuesday to apply for bail after the brutal murder of Kungawo Njuze.
Kungawo will be buried on Saturday in the quiet little village of Xolobe.
Police spokesperson Colonel Sibongile Soci said the boy and his sister, 7, had been left in the care of their uncle on September 3.
“The uncle told the sevenyear-old to go to school and upon her return from school, she made the gruesome discovery of her brother’s lifeless body covered with a cloth,” Soci said.
“The incident, which took place at Jim locality, Xolobe administration area in Tsomo, shocked and dismayed everyone.
“Police were summoned and on arrival they noticed the body was beheaded.
“Upon searching the homestead, the head was found inside a plastic bag hanging on a tree.”
Safety & liaison MEC Weziwe
The uncle told the seven-year-old to go to school and upon her return from school, she made the gruesome dilscovery of her brother’s lifeless body covered with a cloth. Police were summoned and on arrival they noticed the body was beheaded
Tikana-Gxothiwe and Chris Hani district police commissioner Major-General Funeka Siganga visited the grief-stricken Njuze family on Monday.
“Every day we hear of so many rape and femicide incidents it is becoming ‘normal’ but this incident is beyond shocking. It makes us question what we doing wrong as families,” Tikana-Gxothiwe said.
“Why are we harbouring crime and criminal activities as communities?”
AmaZizi traditional council head Nkosi Jongisizwe Ngcongolo raised his voice against violence perpetuated by men and called on all to take a stand against it.
“This is a disgrace and a shame on the Xolobe community. This heinous murder has dented our good name. We strongly condemn killing of women and children and perpetrators of it must rot in jail. As the community we are signing a petition calling for bail to be denied in this case. And the police must help us fight drug abuse as we think this killing is related to that,” he said.
Intsika Yethu ward 3 councillor Melikhaya Skotana said: “Drug abuse is destroying our communities and creating enemies among friends and families. This uncle was someone this young boy trusted to protect him from danger.”
The children’s mother, Amanda Njuze, said they were too distraught to talk about the incident.
“We are so hurt. Please can we be given time to mourn and bury him in dignity,” she said.
In Port St Johns in 2017 a drug user dubbed the Port St Johns “cannibal”, Mandisi Gwanya, allegedly killed‚ dismembered and ate some body parts of his nephew‚ Kamvelihle Ngala, also 4, at KwaNtsila village. He was found unfit to stand trial and sent to a mental hospital.