Fam­ily’s life on hold for re­port

Post-mortem re­sults out­stand­ing 15 months af­ter daugh­ter’s death

Daily News - - FRONT PAGE - THOBEKA NGEMA thobeka.ngema@inl.co.za

MOV­ING ON af­ter his daugh­ter’s death has proved dif­fi­cult for a Dur­ban man and his grand­daugh­ters be­cause the post-mortem re­sults are still out­stand­ing – 15 months later.

The re­sults are es­sen­tial for Stan­ley Maistry, 73, as they could help se­cure his grand­daugh­ters’ fu­ture.

His daugh­ter, Day­nathie “Dianne” Naidoo, 44, never re­gained con­scious­ness af­ter an op­er­a­tion to re­move a blood clot on her brain in July 2017.

Her el­dest daugh­ter, Bav­isha, 21, works part-time and has hopes of fur­ther­ing her ed­u­ca­tion. Her sis­ter, Thirusha, is still in school and also hopes to study fur­ther.

But nei­ther can pay for ter­tiary stud­ies with­out their mother’s in­sur­ance pay­out, which will not be re­leased with­out the post-mortem re­port.

Naidoo, a SAPS cap­tain at Chatsworth Po­lice Sta­tion, was ad­mit­ted to Chatsmed Hos­pi­tal in June 2017 with swollen feet and a fever, and was treated for thy­roid prob­lems. Af­ter ly­ing in hos­pi­tal for a few days, a doc­tor said she would be dis­charged soon.

How­ever, on July 1, her fam­ily was told she was in in­ten­sive care af­ter hav­ing had a seizure. Days later they dis­cov­ered she had a blood clot on her brain and she was trans­ferred to St Au­gus­tine’s Hos­pi­tal, in Glen­wood, Dur­ban. The clot was drained, but she never re­gained con­scious­ness af­ter the surgery and died on July 12.

Maistry does ev­ery­thing he can for his grand­chil­dren with his salary from part-time work, but their lives have been on hold since Naidoo’s death.

“I have been pushed from pil­lar to post to get her post-mortem re­sults. Ev­ery­thing is on hold and we can’t find clo­sure. The bond is held by a bank – we can’t trans­fer her prop­erty – and all in­sur­ance pay­outs have been with­held.

“Fif­teen months have gone by and still noth­ing has been done,” he said.

Maistry said his grand­daugh­ters were liv­ing with him in Chatsworth while his daugh­ter’s house stands empty and her car stands idle.

He said his daugh­ter had ten­ants who paid R2 000 rent a month, but they stopped pay­ing af­ter she died and later moved out, leav­ing be­hind a high elec­tric­ity bill.

“The in­sur­ance pay­out is not for me; it’s for my grand­chil­dren. I’m old and I can’t take the money to my grave,” he said.

Maistry said the in­ves­ti­gat­ing of­fi­cer han­dling the mat­ter – an in­quest docket had been opened – said he was wait­ing for the re­sults to come from Pre­to­ria.

The in­sur­ance bro­ker han­dling his grand­daugh­ters’ claim was also try­ing to help him. “If there was an un­nat­u­ral death we need the post-mortem re­port to pro­ceed with the claim,” he said.

“I also call the in­ves­ti­gat­ing of­fi­cer reg­u­larly, but he is still wait­ing for the re­port.”

Po­lice spokesper­son Colonel Them­beka Mbele said an in­quest docket was be­ing in­ves­ti­gated by Um­bilo po­lice who were still wait­ing for post-mortem re­sults to in­di­cate the cause of death.

Day­nathie Naidoo

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.