TOMATO EGG-FRIED RICE
Lin says this reminds her of primary school, after she and her family first arrived in SA, and month-ends while she was studying and in her early working life. It’s simple and cheap to make. As in the first recipe, it’s best to use leftover refrigerated rice, which holds its shape better.
Preparation time: 15 mins Serves: 4 YOU WILL NEED:
45ml (3T) cooking oil
1 spring onion
750ml (3 cups) cooked, cooled rice 60ml (4T) tomato sauce 3 eggs, beaten
• Heat a wok or frying pan, add the oil and reduce the heat to medium.
• Add the spring onion and stir.
• Add the rice, then the tomato sauce and stir.
• Gently push the mixture to one side of the pan, add the egg and stir to break it up while it cooks.
• Once the egg is cooked, mix it into the rice and season to taste.
• Serve hot or cold.