This year’s Cricket World Cup final will be played in London at Lord’s, a stadium with a rich history
FOR more than a month cricket fans have been glued to their TV screens to take in all the action in the 2019 ICC Cricket World Cup taking place in England and Wales. The final of the championship will be played on 14 July at what’s fondly known as the home of cricket – Lord’s Cricket Ground in London. The first world cup final took place here in 1975 and this year’s will be the fifth final played at this venue.
A FIRST FOR THE GAME
Lord’s is referred to as the home of cricket as it was the first structure ever built specifically for playing the game. The venue was named after its founder, Thomas Lord. Today Lord’s, with its 28 000 seats, isn’t on the same cricket ground as the original. It’s situated on the last of three grounds Lord established as cricket venues between 1787 and 1814. The 200-year anniversary of the current stadium was celebrated in 2014.
Lord’s isn’t a traditional stadium with a uniform type of seating all around. Instead it has stands that have been added over the years, each with its own identity.
First built in 1958 and redesigned with a roof in 2017, the Warner stand honours Pelham Francis Warner, known as the grand old man of English cricket.
THE FIVE-MINUTE BELL
Since 2007 this silver bell in the Bowler’s Bar in the Pavilion has been rung five minutes before the start of the day’s play. Protea players Graeme and Shaun Pollock have had the honour of ringing the bell – but it’s not just for cricketers. Famous cricket fans such as British actor and writer Stephen Fry have also had the privilege of being invited to ring it.
The original grand stand was built in 1867. It was rebuilt in 1998.
This main stand was built in 18891890 during Queen Victoria’s reign. It has a bar, a shop and the Long Room, which players pass through on their way from the dressing rooms to the pitch. Players sometimes get lost on the way – in 1975 English cricketer David Steele ended up in the basement toilets!
This stand was built in 1991 and named after batsman Denis Charles Scott Compton, who played in 78 tests for England from 1937-1957.
The first flood lights were installed in 2007 but locals complained they were too bright. In 2009 lights were introduced that shed less light onto the surrounding homes. On match nights the lights are dimmed to half-strength at 9.50pm and switched off by 11pm.
This was built in 1934 and used to be called the Q Stand. It was renamed in 1989 in honour of Gubby Allen, England captain from 1936 to 1948.
The stand was opened in 1968 on the spot where the original bar (or tavern) had stood since 1868. A new bar on the grounds with the same name was completed in 1967.
This stand was added in 1999 using ship-building technology. It was built for that year’s Cricket World Cup and is constructed mainly from aluminium. It’s oval and stands 15m above the ground on two lift shafts. The lower storey can accommodate more than 100 journalists and the upper level houses the radio and TV commentary boxes.
This stand opened in 1991 and is named after Bill Edrich, who’d played for England from 1938 until 1955. He then captained a local team until 1971 when he retired at 56.
First built in 1898 on top of a mound of clay, this stand was rebuilt in 1987. The stand has a tent-like fabric roof so those who sit here are protected from the sun.