DRUM - - Advice -

I am a 32-year-old woman. I’m five months preg­nant and my boyfriend is re­fus­ing to take re­spon­si­bil­ity. He says I should get a court or­der for DNA test­ing to make sure it’s his baby. Only then will he take care of me and the baby. ANONY­MOUS, UMLAZI Your boyfriend has no le­gal duty to take care of you as you are a girl­friend and not a wife. You will have to wait un­til you give birth to get fi­nan­cial as­sis­tance from him.

Once you have given birth, go to the main­te­nance court and open a file for main­te­nance. Your boyfriend, if he still de­nies he’s the bi­o­log­i­cal fa­ther, will be or­dered to take DNA tests and this will be paid by him.

In the mean­time, use gov­ern­ment ser­vices dur­ing your preg­nancy as health­care is free for preg­nant moth­ers and for chil­dren.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.