This elegant, simple cake is moist and has a lovely sweetness from the honey and almonds. Sift over a snowlike layer of icing sugar.
Makes 1 cake, 10–12 slices
• 200g butter
• 160g caster sugar
• 45ml liquid honey
• seeds of 1 vanilla pod
• pinch of salt
• 250g almond flour (gluten-free)
• 80g brown rice flour (gluten-free) or cake flour
• 80g flaked almonds
• icing sugar, for dusting
• 1 round 26cm cake pan, lined with baking paper
• electric mixer
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C. Line the cake pan with baking paper. Cream the butter and caster sugar together in the bowl of an electric mixer until light and creamy. Add the honey and vanilla seeds and mix through. Add the eggs one by one and beat well. Mix the dry ingredients together and fold in carefully. Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin and sprinkle the flaked almonds over evenly. Bake for about 20 minutes.
2. Don’t overbake the cake or it will dry out. Sift over the icing sugar.