BEETROOT SALAD WITH SWEET-ANDSOUR DRESSING
PREP + COOKING TIME: 1 HOUR 20 MINUTES, PLUS COOLING
Pomegranate is the tangy foil to the earthy flavour of beetroot here, and crisp endive and crunchy hazelnuts take this salad up another notch.
• 700 g (4 medium) fresh beetroots, trimmed
• olive oil, for drizzling
• 1 spring onion, bulb only, sliced thinly
• 375 g (about 3 heads) Belgian endive, leaves separated
• seeds of 1/2 a pomegranate
• 35 g (¼ cup) hazelnuts, roasted and chopped coarsely
• 60 ml (¼ cup) extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
• 1 tbsp Cabernet Sauvignon vinegar (or another aged red-wine vinegar)
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C. Place the beetroots on separate pieces of tinfoil large enough to wrap each of them. Drizzle with olive oil and 1 tsp water, wrap tightly to enclose and roast on a baking tray until tender when pierced with a knife (50 minutes to 1 hour). Set aside to cool (20– 30 minutes). Peel beetroots, cut into wedges and transfer to a bowl.
2. For the sweet-and-sour dressing, combine the ingredients in a bowl and whisk to mix. Season to taste.
3. Combine beetroot and half of the spring onion slices with dressing; toss to coat. Arrange endive leaves, beetroot mixture and pomegranate seeds on a salad platter, and scatter remaining spring onion and hazelnuts on top. Drizzle with remaining dressing and serve.