Con­tent in­sur­ance to keep in mind when mov­ing

George Herald - Private Property - - Property News -

Mov­ing from one home to an­other can be a very stress­ful time in­volv­ing plenty of ad­min and heavy lift­ing, de­ci­sions, pack­ing, un­pack­ing - the list goes on.

“But there is one way to re­move a lit­tle stress, and that is to make sure your goods are suf­fi­ciently in­sured while you are mov­ing,” says Ber­tus Visser, chief ex­ec­u­tive of dis­tri­bu­tion at PSG In­sure.

Whether you are mov­ing to an­other sub­urb or across the coun­try, ac­ci­dents can hap­pen and it would be dread­ful to have to foot the bill your­self to re­place your fur­ni­ture and be­long­ings.

Here are some con­tents in­sur­ance con­sid­er­a­tions to keep in mind.

Us­ing pro­fes­sional movers

Your cur­rent per­sonal in­sur­ance pol­icy could be ex­tended to cover you while your goods are be­ing moved by a pro­fes­sional com­pany, but you will need to check with your in­surer ex­actly what terms and con­di­tions would ap­ply.

If your pol­icy only has lim­ited cover, it is pos­si­ble to take out a House­hold Goods in Tran­sit pol­icy, which will en­sure you are cov­ered for the move.

“This is a sep­a­rate pol­icy and would only cover your goods for the pe­riod of tran­sit,” Visser says.

An­other op­tion would be tak­ing out in­sur­ance via the mov­ing com­pany you are us­ing, but this can end up be­ing a more costly choice.

“It would be best to weigh up your op­tions and choose the one best suited to your pocket.”

Us­ing your own ve­hi­cle or a friend's bakkie

Many of us rope in help from fam­ily and friends to save on mov­ing costs.

This is a safe op­tion when it comes to us­ing your in­sur­ance, but only in the event of an ac­ci­dent.

“Your in­sur­ance cover will only be valid for col­li­sion or over­turn­ing of the ve­hi­cle, but it will not cover you if any of your goods are stolen in tran­sit,” Visser says.

“An ex­am­ple here could be if your friend stops at the shop in be­tween pick­ing up your goods and drop­ping them off, and some­one steals some­thing out of the ve­hi­cle.”

With a smaller ve­hi­cle, a few trips may be re­quired to trans­port all your goods to your new home.

“Your in­surer won't re­strict you as to how many of your goods will be cov­ered per load in tran­sit; how­ever, you must make sure that your pol­icy cov­ers you for the to­tal sum in­sured for all the goods you are mov­ing.

This means your con­tents in­sur­ance must be at the cor­rect value to re­place all your goods, should any­thing go wrong.”

Goods in new home and old home

If you are mov­ing in stages, there will be a time when some of your goods are in your new home and some of your goods are still in your old home.

Both prop­er­ties will need to be in­cluded in your pol­icy to cover your con­tents on both premises for the mov­ing pe­riod.

“If you are a ten­ant mov­ing to a new rental prop­erty, for ex­am­ple, your new land­lord has no re­spon­si­bil­ity to pro­tect your con­tents, so you must make sure your own cover is suf­fi­cient and that your in­surer is aware of your new ad­dress.

“Equally so if you have bought your new home - your in­surer must be aware of your old and new prop­erty so that your goods are cov­ered,” Visser con­cludes.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.