Quick pickled asparagus
Makes 2x1ℓjars Preparation time 10 minutes These pickled asparagus are nothing like the strange, pale, limp fingers you find in a can. They are delicious in salads or sliced to enjoy on sandwiches or with steak.
• 1½ tablespoons (22,5ml) coarse salt
• 1 tablespoon (15ml) sugar
• 3½ cups (825ml) white balsamic vinegar
• 1½ cups (375ml) water
• 4 juniper berries
• 2 bay leaves
• a small bunch of dill, washed and patted dry
• 4 garlic cloves, halved
• 1 teaspoon (5ml) dried chilli flakes
• 1kg fresh asparagus, washed and the hard ends removed
THIS IS HOW
Place the salt, sugar, vinegar, water, juniper berries and bay leaves in a saucepan and heat the ingredients to boiling point. Turn down the heat and allow the mixture to simmer for 2 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the plate.
Divide the dill, garlic and chilli flakes between the 2 jars and arrange the asparagus in the jars. Fill the jars with the warm pickle mixture, seal them and place them in the fridge. Be sure to use the asparagus within a month. >