No respectable, law-abiding taxpayer must endure such infringement on their basic rights for peace of mind
• Concerned Kroonvale resident, Graaff-reinet:
It is with grave concern that I, as a citizen of Graaff-reinet, with my upbringing in Kroonvale, must make mention of the periods of rowdiness, disturbance and lack of respect for taxpayers who reside in and around the Alex Laing Hall in Kroonvale.
It is especially on weekends and more so during the Easter and festive periods that all hell breaks loose when young community members, mostly “blocking” in their cars, are responsible for;
- littering of beer cans and alcohol bottles;
- revving their car’s engines at any time of the night for long periods;
- removing of pavements and rocks that were put there for beatifying;
- the parking of cars with loud music playing by drinking groups of people in front of residential properties - especially during the Easter Christmas and New Year periods;
- urinating on pavements and around the shopping area;
- the playing of extremely loud music by a multiple of individuals at any time of day and night;
- the dangerous speeding and dragracing by motorists up and down especially Springbok, Mossie and Acacia streets;
- the disrespect towards residents when all of this unacceptable behavior is confronted;
- the sporadic outbreak of violent fighting;
- the illegal starting of fires around the area;
- not all individuals are visiting the local entertainment club, but use the huge parking area and the stoep of the local shops as entertainment venues which have no basic facilities i.e toilets, security personnel or time limits;
It is becoming worse as the years go by and if nothing drastic is done, serious injury and possible loss of life may occur. No respectable, law-abiding taxpayer must endure such infringement on their basic rights for peace of mind, security and to spend their weekends and holidays in a calm and peaceful environment. The lack of recreational facilities for the youth in the different previous disadvantaged areas contributes to this unacceptable and anti-social behaviour but if these tendencies are not addressed in the very near future, we will allow a culture of lawlessness, chaos and a breakdown in peaceful community structures.
I appeal to the municipal council to explore short, medium and long-term solutions and to apply visible law enforcing actions that will discipline the offenders of our by-laws that can address the disturbance, terrible noise levels, speeding and unruly behavior that the residents around the Alex Laing area must endure... more so over festive periods.