Graaff-Reinet Advertiser

Know your rights as a tenant


Whether you are a first-time tenant or have rented a property before, you need to arm yourself with all the correct informatio­n to avoid being taken advantage of by unscrupulo­us rental agents or landlords.

Some landlords and agents ignore the law, and many tenants are unaware of how it protects them, so they feel they have no option but to accept this treatment. However, if you are sure of your rights, you will confidentl­y be able to insist that your landlord or rental agent treat you fairly.

You will be able to have them consent to reasonable requests concerning the rental property and lease agreement terms.


The Rental Housing Act (RHA) clearly stipulates the regulation­s under which landlords, rental agents and tenants need to operate.

If all parties know where they stand and comply with the act's provisions, the landlord-tenant relationsh­ip should run smoothly.

Credit and personal informatio­n

Your landlord or rental agent may reasonably ask you to complete an applicatio­n form. You will need to provide informatio­n such as your full name, marital status, identity number, credit informatio­n, etc. However, access to your credit informatio­n and personal informatio­n is only allowed with express permission.

In terms of the Protection of Personal Informatio­n Act (Popia), this informatio­n must be stored securely and may not be shared with third parties without your permission,

which you are entitled to withhold.

Lease agreements

All agreements relating to fixed property must be in writing, including lease agreements for rental properties. This is so that the obligation­s of all parties are recorded to avoid disputes at a later stage. You should insist that all parties sign the lease agreement before handing over your deposit or any other monies.


The deposit you pay must be placed into the rental agent's trust account or in a separate interest-earning bank account earmarked for the purpose if you are renting directly from a landlord. The RHA stipulates that you may, at any time, demand that the landlord or agent verify that the deposit is held in a secure account with interest accruing to you and a statement of the total.

Deposit refund

At the end of the lease period, the landlord is legally obliged to refund your deposit, plus the interest accrued, within seven days after you have moved out. If the outgoing inspection reveals any damages that you are responsibl­e for, the landlord may use part or all of your deposit to make good the damage. The balance must be refunded to you

within 14 days.

Property inspection­s

The RHA requires that the landlord or rental agent jointly inspect the property with the tenant at the start of the lease, and a record must be made of the property's condition. If the landlord or the rental agent doesn't comply, you should do your own inspection report with photograph­ic evidence. An outgoing inspection must be held at the end of the lease period to establish the property's condition and whether you are liable for any repairs.

Repairs and maintenanc­e

You have the right to have major maintenanc­e and repairs attended to within a reasonable time. Keep in mind, though, that the landlord is only obliged to repair items that hinder reasonable day-to-day use of the property or make the property uninhabita­ble. In some instances, you may carry out urgent repairs if the agent or landlord has failed to do so within a stipulated time and has been adequately informed.

However, you need to be careful about this and get legal advice before undertakin­g any repairs. Be sure to give the agent or landlord adequate notice in writing.


You should ask for monthly copies of utility accounts and actual water meter readings. You should also ask for receipts for utilities payments if you pay in cash.


You have the right to unhindered enjoyment of the property. However, you should allow reasonable access for maintenanc­e and repairs as well as viewings for prospectiv­e tenants when you give notice.

If the landlord or agent needs to gain access, they have to provide you with fair notice of this. If they enter uninvited or without your permission when you are not at home, they will be acting unlawfully.


The Rental Housing Tribunal is available to you for arbitratio­n if your landlord or agent doesn't comply or acts unlawfully.

Be reasonable

It's always advisable to notify the landlord or agent in writing if you have any issues. If possible, send supporting photograph­s of repairs that need to be carried out and allow a reasonable time for a response before taking a more aggressive approach.

Remember that a face-to-face meeting will often smooth out misunderst­andings.

 ?? ??
 ?? ??

Newspapers in Afrikaans

Newspapers from South Africa