Grocott's Mail

Special service for those whose hearts are in Salem

-

Salem is holding a special community service and is inviting all those with connection­s to Salem to come and worship together – old friends, past pupils of the Salem School, Salem family members and friends of Salem.

Extensive restoratio­n work has recently been completed, made possible by generous donations from those whose hearts are in Salem

After the service, congregant­s can reminisce over a cup of tea in the old Salem Academy.

The service will be conducted by the Rev Tim Rist and the Rev Glen Craig.

Two historic church buildings stand proudly in the vil-

Photo SUPPLIED lage, and regular Sunday services are held in both churches, and have done since 1832 and 1850 respective­ly.

Founded by Methodists, the village of Salem was named by Rev William Shaw, chaplain to Sephton’s party of Settlers who settled in Salem.

He recorded his arrival in the Valley of the Assagaay Bosch River on 18 July 1820.

The first place of worship in Salem was a wattle and reed building which had been erected by a Dutch farmer before the arrival of the 1820 Settlers.

Shaw lost no time in erecting a more permanent place of worship. On New Year’s day, 1822, Shaw recorded in his diary: “I laid the foundation stone of the chapel at Salem,” which was also a ‘wattle and daub’ structure.

This building was opened on 31 December that year.

The building was later pulled down to make way for a more permanent stone structure, which was opened on November 9, 1832, and public worship has been conducted in it ever since.

At one end of this building, Mr WH Matthews began his school which became the Salem Academy.

Another church was built in the village in 1850.

Both buildings are still lovingly maintained by the congregati­on.

 ??  ?? A special service is to be held in Salem's Methodist church.
A special service is to be held in Salem's Methodist church.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa