• Fill bare spots in containers and flowerbeds with ‘instant’ pots of flowering annuals from your local garden centre.
• Mulch shrubs with bark chips or nuggets so that they will need less watering and weeding and to prevent topsoil from blowing away.
• Destroy or bury fallen fruit as this can harbour the larvae of fruit fly, and support heavily-laden branches.
• Do not allow the root area of azaleas and camellias to dry out, as this is the time when they develop next season’s buds.
• Cut back chrysanthemums to encourage bushiness and more flowers.
• Make sure there is always fresh water in birdbaths for birds, bees and butterflies, and that there is plenty of fresh drinking water for family pets. >>