Stay safe this winter - fires safety tips
IT is important when trying to keep warm in the cold weather to remember safety first. The following are safety measures:
● Ensure that your heater is in good working order and that cords and other components are not damaged.
● Ensure proper ventilation when using gas heaters or other fuel burning appliances.
● Never leave a heater unattended while on.
● Do not place heaters on carpets or close to curtains, couches and other items that could easily be set alight.
● Do not use makeshift heaters, stoves included, to keep warm.
● Maintain it - have the chimney inspected and cleaned
● Make the fire small enough to be able to control. Keep flammable items away and extinguish when going out the room. ● Ensure there is proper ventilation in the room.
● Put an appropriate screen in front of the fireplace as a safeguard as well as to prevent embers from jumping out. ● Install smoke detectors and test them regularly.
General fire safety
● Keep matches and lighters out of reach of children.
● Candles are a common cause of residential fires. Lit candles should be put in a proper non-flammable holder that cannot easily be bumped or blown over by the wind. It should not be placed near curtains or anything flammable.
●Do not leave a candle burning if you go to bed or leave the property. Also, never leave children unattended near a lit candle or any fire for that matter.