‘No bail for dogs’

A com­mu­ni­ty voi­ces its an­ger in the wa­ke of Vic­tor Mo­lo­si’s mur­der

Knysna-Plett Herald - - Voorblad - N­wa­bi­sa Pon­do­yi & S­te­fan Goo­sen

The G­re­a­ter Knys­na com­mu­ni­ty is still in the pro­cess of co­ming to terms with the mur­der – or as­sas­si­na­ti­on? – of Ward 8 coun­cil­lor Vic­tor Mo­lo­si, e­ven mo­re so af­ter the court ap­pea­ran­ce of a pro­mi­nent mem­ber of the com­mu­ni­ty on a char­ge of con­spi­ra­cy to com­mit mur­der this past Mon­day.

Knys­na Taxi Forum (KTF) se­cre­ta­ry Mand­la Tyo­lo­lo was ar­res­ted on F­ri­day 3 Au­gust and a­not­her per­son of in­te­rest is being held for que­s­ti­o­ning in con­necti­on with the mur­der. Sout­hern Ca­pe po­li­ce spo­kes­per­son Cap­tain Mal­colm

Po­jie has said mo­re ar­res­ts are im­mi­nent. KTF has dis­tan­ced it­self from the in­ci­dent sin­ce its se­cre­ta­ry brief­ly ap­pea­red in the Knys­na Ma­gi­stra­te’s Court on 06 Au­gust.

At le­ast 1 000 pe­op­le mar­ched from Con­cor­dia and gat­he­red out­si­de the court buil­ding, cal­ling for no bail to be gran­ted to Tyo­lo­lo. Par­ti­ci­pants told KPH jour­na­lis­ts t­hat po­li­ce u­sed te­ar­gas on the cro­wd du­ring the march to court.

Waxa in com­mu­ni­ty’s fi­ring li­ne

On the pre­vi­ous day, Sun­day 5 Au­gust,

N­wa­bi­sa Pon­do­yi re­por­ted t­hat chan­ting com­mu­ni­ty mem­bers – on their way back from a meet­ing w­he­re they ap­pa­rent­ly we­re pre­pa­ring for the court ap­pea­ran­ce the next day – mar­ched to­wards coun­cil­lor Ve­li­le Waxa’s hou­se, but we­re dis­per­sed be­fo­re re­a­ching it.

As­ked why so­me of the pos­ters wiel­ded by mar­chers car­ried his na­me, Waxa told KPH, “I don’t know why I would e­ven be in­vol­ved in the mur­der, I am de­fi­ni­te­ly not in­vol­ved. I be­lie­ve pe­op­le want so­meo­ne to bla­me and this could just be po­li­ticking. The po­li­ce should be left to do their work.”. Sin­ce the pro­test at the court, Waxa’s ho­me has been un­der po­li­ce sur­veil­lan­ce. De­spi­te wi­de­spre­ad rumours on so­ci­al me­dia t­hat Waxa was de­tai­ned by po­li­ce in Ge­or­ge, com­mu­ni­ty mem­bers w­he­re he li­ves ha­ve con­fir­med t­hat he was seen at his work­pla­ce in Knys­na at le­ast up until 19:00 on Tu­es­day 7 Au­gust.

A­mong the ot­her signs car­ried by pro­tes­ters we­re se­ver­al cal­ling for no bail for Tyo­lo­lo. “To hell with kil­lers” said one, whi­le ot­hers re­ad “No bail for dogs” and “No bail for kil­lers”. A pu­blic or­der po­li­cing u­nit was on sce­ne throug­hout the mor­ning, bar­ring any pro­tes­ter from en­te­ring the pre­mi­ses.

Ma­gi­stra­te Zu­kis­wa Hans pos­t­po­ned the mat­ter to 15 Au­gust for a for­mal bail ap­pli­ca­ti­on and ad­ded t­hat a wit­ness in the ca­se is cur­rent­ly un­der wit­ness pro­tecti­on. Tyo­lo­lo re­mains in cus­to­dy. Du­ring pro­cee­dings it ca­me to lig­ht t­hat he had pre­vi­ous­ly been char­ged with as­sault with in­tent to cau­se grie­vous bo­di­ly harm and the S­ta­te op­po­sed bail for fe­ar t­hat he mig­ht in­ter­fe­re with the ca­se.

Taxi forum dis­tan­ces it­self from Tyo­lo­lo

S­pea­king on be­half of KTF, Xo­la­ni T­se­se (se­cre­ta­ry of N­ce­do Taxi As­so­ci­a­ti­on) said the forum is going to let jus­ti­ce run its cour­se, and ad­ded t­hat the forum is yet to meet with its mem­bers to dis­cuss a way for­ward.

“We had no­thing to do with the in­ci­dent. We are con­stant­ly wor­king with the law and are not al­lo­wed to work with cri­mi­nals, so in lig­ht of the al­le­ga­ti­ons (a­gainst Tyo­lo­lo) we think it is be­st to dis­tan­ce our­sel­ves from him. We are vehe­ment­ly a­gainst cri­mi­nal acti­vi­ties of any kind,” T­se­se said, and emp­ha­si­sed t­hat they are be­hind the com­mu­ni­ty who mar­ched to the lo­cal courts on Mon­day.

“We pro­vi­ded trans­port for the re­si­dents to town (today) and as­sis­ted with trans­port du­ring the la­te coun­cil­lor’s me­mo­ri­al ser­vi­ce last week to s­how our sup­port to the fa­mi­ly and the com­mu­ni­ty,” T­se­se ad­ded.

Mo­lo­si was, ac­cor­ding to the po­li­ce, shot by a sin­gle gun­man on 23 Ju­ly at a­bout 22:00 ne­ar his ho­me in Con­cor­dia, Knys­na on his way ho­me from a s­chool go­ver­ning bo­dy meet­ing at Con­cor­dia High S­chool. Re­si­dents ne­ar­by ha­ve re­por­ted t­hat it was mo­re li­ke­ly be­t­ween 20:30 and 21:00.

Mo­lo­si sus­tai­ned a wound to the he­ad and was de­cla­red de­ad on ar­ri­val at the hos­pi­tal.

At the ti­me of going to print on Wed­nes­day 8 Au­gust Capt Po­jie said t­hat a­part from Tyo­lo­lo no furt­her ar­res­ts had been ma­de in con­necti­on with the ca­se.

Po­li­ce, pro­tes­ters and po­ten­ti­al pan­de­mo­ni­um.

P­ho­tos: S­te­fan Goo­sen

Pro­tes­ters at Mand­la Tyo­lo­lo’s court ap­pea­ran­ce.

Newspapers in Afrikaans

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.