Myers on latest charges: ‘It’s a vendetta’
The resounding cheers in the Peter Myers camp after the controversial councillor received news that he’d been exonerated from accusations of misconduct last week had scarcely died down when he heard he would be now facing fresh charges of misconduct and disclosing confidential information by the Knysna council.
He appeared before an ethics committee last Wednesday (7 November) after being notified the previous week of facing charges of misconduct.
The charges against him came just days after Myers and Willemse were exonerated by a DA appeal panel of any wrongdoing in the matter relating to them ousting previous mayor Eleanor Bouw-Spies.
Myers said he believes the disciplinary process against him is part of a personal and political vendetta. He said in a statement that these latest council charges are essentially that he disclosed confidential admin-related information sometime in October 2017.
“Ridiculously, the charge sheet is silent on who the complainant is, who I supposedly disclosed the information to, what the specific information was that I disclosed and what procedural rules the disciplinary process is being conducted under. In the absence of such information it is impossible for me to meaningfully prepare any defence, rendering the process grossly unfair and in my view, unlawful,” stated Myers.
“Irrespective of the bizarre charge sheet, I categorically deny the charges and firmly believe that this disciplinary process is part of the ongoing personal and political vendetta against me.
“I look forward to being totally exonerated in this matter and hope that those involved in pursuing this unseemly action against me are ultimately exposed and their motives laid bare.”
The matter has been postponed until 21 November. The Knysna Ratepayers’ Association stated that they will advocate for an open hearing as it serves in the interests of the community.