Free access to CapeNature reserves for next week only
REGIONAL - With September marking National Tourism Month, CapeNature is inviting members of the public to join in on their celebrations.
The entity will provide free access to the public during its seventh annual Access Week, from 13 to 20 September. "In celebration of Heritage Day and Tourism Month, CapeNature offers the public an opportunity to explore their natural heritage at selected reserve destinations," reads a media release issued last week. "This once-ina-year opportunity gives visitors a chance to participate in a number of activities ranging from experiencing historical cultural sites, hiking, picnicking to mountain biking and birdwatching."
Visitors to CapeNature will enjoy free day entry (excluding overnight stays) at reserves ranging from the West Coast to the Winelands, Overberg, Garden Route and the Klein Karoo. In the Garden Route the participating reserves are Robberg, Keurbooms River, Goukamma and
CapeNature CEO, Dr Razeena Omar, encouraged all South Africans to spend a day in nature and explore their natural heritage, free of charge. "As part of Tourism Month and Heritage Day celebrations, Access Week provides an opportunity for everyone to enjoy our natural spaces and our unique natural heritage," she said. Zero-rated permits will be given to everyone accessing CapeNature reserves during this time, to ensure that all access numbers and activity numbers are recorded. Free access will not apply when booking through the call centre or when making an online booking; the public must visit the reserves.
The week-long offer excludes accommodation bookings (normal rates and access fees apply with any accommodation booking). Free access will pertain to general access (conservation fee) and hiking, mountain biking and other day activities allowed. All health and safety protocols will be in place, including the mandatory wearing of masks.
PLETTENBERG BAY - The e-waste collection drive held in Bitou this past weekend was a massive success, with a record haul collected.
The drive aimed to help residents get rid of their electronic waste in a responsible manner instead of sending it to landfill. The drive was a collaborative effort between the Keep Plett Clean campaign, Bitou Municipality, and LG E-Waste. Residents brought their e-waste to the parking area at the Piesang Valley Hall on Saturday 4 September where it was collected and taken for responsible disposal.
A 4-ton and a 1-ton truck as well as a municipal bakkie were completely filled. According to e-waste collectors, this was the most e-waste they had collected in four years, and they did so in just a few hours, from 09:00 to 14:00.
Alison Bryant of the Keep Plett Clean Campaign said the most numerous items collected were batteries, fridges and microwaves, but residents brought along a variety of items including cellphones, printers, tumble dryers, televisions, computers, laptops, kettles, toasters, hairdryers, tools and leads. According to the World Health Organisation, e-waste volumes are surging globally. The Global E-Waste Statistics Partnership (GESP) reported that e-waste grew by 21% in the five years up to 2019 when 53,6-million metric tons of e-waste were generated. Only 17,4% of e-waste produced in 2019 reached formal management or recycling facilities. The GESP estimates that the 17,4% of e-waste collected and appropriately recycled prevented as much as 15-million tons of carbon dioxide equivalents from being released into the environment.