Signs of a twin pregnancy
If you suspect you may be carrying more than one baby, look out for these 10 twin pregnancy signs:
● Faster weight gain. You may gain up to 5kg in the first trimester due to increased blood volume and uterine size.
● A large-for-date uterus.
● Looking bigger earlier.
● Severe morning sickness. More than 50% of moms expecting multiples have morning sickness that tends to be more severe than those carrying one baby.
● Detecting foetal movement early in pregnancy.
● Your doctor hears two or more heartbeats as early as 10 to 12 weeks.
● Abnormally high results from an Alphafe to protein (AFP) test.
● Extreme fatigue.
● Water retention.
● Older maternal age, being overweight, the use of fertility drugs and having twins in the mother’s family all increase the likelihood of a multiple birth.