MERLE WESTCOTT’S FISH PIE
• 1 x 400g tin Saldanha middle-cut in brine
• 2 tbsp coconut oil
• 1 onion, chopped
• 2 tbsp coconut flour
• 3 eggs, beaten
• 250ml full cream milk
• 5ml Himalayan salt
• freshly ground black pepper
• 5g fresh oregano, to garnish
• 1 lime, sliced into wedges, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C. Grease a 22cm pie dish.
2. Drain the fish. Mash it with a fork in a bowl.
3. Fry the onion in the coconut oil in a pan until it is lightly golden. Add the onion, coconut flour, and egg to the mashed fish. Stir well to combine, then add the milk and seasoning.
4. Pour the mixture into the pie dish and bake for 30 minutes.
5. To serve: The pie will firm up on standing, so let it rest for 10 minutes before you slice it. Serve it garnished with fresh oregano and with lime wedges on the side.
Tip: Eat hot or cold. For a delicious twist, serve with a side of cabbage fried in lard.