Incorporate amino acids into your skincare routine
In case you’ve forgotten your high-school biology, amino acids are the building blocks that make up proteins, and play a role in virtually every process in our bodies. When it comes to skincare, they’re celebrated for their anti-ageing effects. Two in particular – proline and glycine – are vital for collagen synthesis, helping to reduce fine lines and wrinkles. Incorporated into serums, night creams and other treatments, amino acids also improve moisture retention to soften and smooth skin.
1. NEOSTRATA Skin Active Tri-Therapy Lifting Serum R1 035 adds volume to slack skin, renews tone and smooths texture while improving overall signs of photo-damage.
2. PH FORMULA UV Protect SPF 50+ R610 is a broad-spectrum sunscreen that helps prevent DNA damage. It also deeply hydrates skin, and has a matte finish to keep shine at bay.
3. ELEMIS Dynamic Resurfacing Serum R2 135 contains a combination of AHAs and vitamin C (as well as amino acids) to give your skin that post-facial glow.
Peptides are short chains of amino acids that convey messages to your cells. Athletes have long used them to manipulate their bodies into recovering from exercise faster, and now they are being harnessed by dermatologists – so you can literally tell your face to tighten up. When applied topically in the form of peptide-rich products, they improve firmness and texture while also reducing the appearance of wrinkles.
4. SKINCEUTICALS Metacell Renewal B3 R1 800 is a multi-corrective moisturiser that targets early signs of ageing including dullness, discolouration, dryness, fine lines and loss of collagen.
5. LAMELLE Serra Soothing Cream R665 is an anti-inflammatory, anti-itch and anti-redness cream. However, its most important function is its skin-barrier support, which helps reduce dryness and discomfort.
6. EXUVIANCE AGE Reverse Day Repair R965 is a day cream that doubles as an SPF. It repairs skin with the added benefit of antioxidants to protect against daily environmental aggressors.
LEEGEEHAAM Dual Peptide Firming Mask R70 is formulated with two peptides that reduce fine lines and wrinkles. The mask itself is super soft, alcohol-free and hypoallergenic.