BENEFITS OF PLANTING TREES:
• Trees help fight the effects of climate change by absorbing carbon dioxide and other pollutant particulates, then store carbon and emit pure oxygen.
• Trees and vegetation prevent soil erosion and reduce run-off by holding soil in place, particularly on hillsides or stream slopes. The quality of water is also improved when it is absorbed and filtered by trees.
• Planting trees in public spaces and gardens can increase the aesthetic appeal of neighbourhoods and the economic value of houses and property.
• Trees provide food for humans, birds and wildlife.
• Encourage community participation in the South Africa’s urban and rural greening initiatives.