Oystercatcher Trail Run
The famous Oystercatcher hiking trail again played host to the annual two- and three-day Oystercatcher Trail Runs.
The events aim to not only provide trail runners with an enjoyable and challenging route but to also educate participants about South Africa’s fragile natural environment.
The 2018 edition of this event again stretched over two weekends, with the threeday run taking place over the Heritage Day weekend and the two-day option over the weekend of 29 to 30 September.
The two runs were identical except for the three-day event’s extra day that covered 16km from the Gourikwa Nature Reserve to the Eco Marine Lodge.
The overall top 10 positions:
1. Ian Kent (masters men) – 04:42:59
2. Steven Aronson (open men) – 04:52:02
3. Carly Kent (veteran women) – 05:24:39
4. Mitsie van der Westhuizen (veteran women) – 05:27:06
5. Wessel Kritzinger (veteran men) – 05:50:45
6. Benita Kritzinger (veteran women) – 05:50:46
7. Nicolette Brouwer (masters women) – 05:51:09
8. Craig Forbes (veteran men) – 05:57:30
9. Willem Klopper (open men) – 06:07:56
10. Suzanna Winter (masters women) – 06:14:05
The two-day event, which took place on the second weekend, was dominated by the women, who made up more than 70% of the runners.