Move! - - CONTENTS -

A so­cial worker based in Benoni, Nthabiseng Madikgetla, says, “I sense that you be­lieve the only time you can act on your hus­band’s vi­o­lent be­hav­iour is if he lays his hands on you. The truth is that you can act on any form of abuse and you do not have to wait un­til it es­ca­lates to phys­i­cal abuse. Your safety should be a pri­or­ity and I rec­om­mend that you visit your near­est POWA (Peo­ple Op­pos­ing Woman Abuse) of­fices for as­sis­tance and sup­port in terms of ad­dress­ing the vi­o­lent be­hav­iour your hus­band is dis­play­ing. You will also re­ceive emo­tional and psy­cho­log­i­cal sup­port. I also rec­om­mend that you sug­gest to your hus­band that he seeks pro­fes­sional help for his drink­ing prob­lem and for a for­mal as­sess­ment and di­ag­no­sis of de­pres­sion. He can be helped if he ad­mits that he needs help. This may take some per­sua­sion as in most cases peo­ple do not eas­ily ad­mit to hav­ing a prob­lem.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.