Re­lief for Fahim Ja­madar

Ac­tress Mishka Gounden drops case against him

Post - - FRONT PAGE - NA­DIA KHAN

FOR­MER ra­dio jock Fahim Ja­madar, who was ac­cused of as­sault­ing and ha­rass­ing TV ac­tress Mishka Gounden, feels vin­di­cated af­ter she with­drew a court ap­pli­ca­tion seek­ing a pro­tec­tion or­der against him.

Ja­madar, 42, is a for­mer Mega­zone and Lo­tus FM pre­sen­ter. He worked with Gounden, 25, at Mega­zone in 2016.

Last July, Gounden went to court to get a pro­tec­tion or­der against Ja­madar. She claimed he had:

As­saulted her out­side a restau­rant in Mus­grave in April 2017.

Ha­rassed her.

Leaked four sex­u­ally-ex­plicit home-made videos of her­self around the mid­dle of last year.

Ja­madar’s at­tor­ney, Sha­heen See­dat, said: “Both par­ties had al­lo­cated ad­vo­cates and the mat­ter was ar­gued on July 1. How­ever, the mag­is­trate made a rul­ing that she wanted to hear oral ev­i­dence from the ap­pli­cant and the re­spon­dent and the dates for the hear­ing was set.

“The mag­is­trate also re­quested elec­tronic proof that my client pub­li­cised the videos on so­cial me­dia, but that was not brought to court. We were also in posses­sion of wit­ness state­ments, which did not im­pli­cate my client.”

Ac­cord­ing to See­dat, Gounden sent Ja­madar the video clips while the two of them were work­ing at Mega­zone in 2016 but he had not pub­lished them on­line.

The mat­ter was set down to be heard last week but be­fore the trial could start Gounden with­drew the ap­pli­ca­tion.

It’s not the only le­gal mat­ter be­tween the two. Gounden laid a crim­i­nal charge against Ja­madar for pub­lish­ing the videos on­line. How­ever, in May this year the di­rec­tor of pub­lic pros­e­cu­tions de­clined to prose­cute the mat­ter.

The Na­tional Pros­e­cut­ing Au­thor­ity had not re­sponded at the time of go­ing to print as to why the mat­ter was dropped.

She also filed a R1.5 mil­lion claim for defama­tion of char­ac­ter and dam­ages af­ter she lost her job at Lo­tus FM. Ac­cord­ing to press re­ports at the time, it was claimed she had breached her con­tract and brought the SABC into dis­re­pute.

At the time Gounden worked as Lo­tus FM’s on air traf­fic pre­sen­ter.

That mat­ter is pend­ing in the Dur­ban High Court.

This week, Ja­madar, a fa­ther of two, said he was “con­fused and sur­prised” that Gounden would ac­cuse him of as­sault­ing and ha­rass­ing her be­cause they had not been in con­tact since early 2017.

“I left Mega­zone in De­cem­ber 2016, and we main­tained lit­tle con­tact. Sud­denly, over a year later, I get a call from the cops that there is a pro­tec­tion or­der ap­pli­ca­tion and a crim­i­nal case against me for spread­ing videos. I am still try­ing to fig­ure out what could have sparked her to make all these al­le­ga­tions, that I had shared those videos of her or even as­saulted her…”

He wished Gounden well.

“I was hurt by what tran­spired but I have no ill-feel­ings to­wards her. I even told her this while we were both at court dur­ing the re­cent pro­ceed­ings.

“This has been a stress­ful, trau­ma­tis­ing, and costly pe­riod, which she dragged out for the past year and then sud­denly with­drew. I had to pay lawyers and ad­vo­cates for some­thing I never did.

“It also placed strain on my per­sonal life, but I am grate­ful for the sup­port of my fam­ily, es­pe­cially my wife, who al­ways be­lieved in my in­no­cence. I am glad it is all over.”

He said he in­tended pur­su­ing le­gal ac­tion against Gounden for defama­tion.

Ja­madar, who runs a per­fume busi­ness, said he would con­sider go­ing back into the ra­dio in­dus­try, but re­turn­ing to Lo­tus FM was not an op­tion.

Gounden, who fea­tures in the e.tv soapie Im­bewu: The Seed, said she with­drew the ap­pli­ca­tion for per­sonal rea­sons.

“It has been al­most two years. In this time, I have worked on my­self and I have worked on mov­ing for­ward in my ca­reer. The amount of sup­port I have re­ceived from friends, fam­ily, fans and well-wish­ers have been such a bless­ing and I thank each and every one of them from the bot­tom of my heart.”

LEON LESTRADE African News Agency (ANA)

AT­TOR­NEY Sha­heen See­dat and his client, Fahim Ja­madar, at the Dur­ban Mag­is­trate’s Court. |

Face­book

MISHKA Gounden with­drew a pro­tec­tion or­der ap­pli­ca­tion against Ja­madar. |

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.