Vic­tim’s fam­ily con­sider if SA re­mains an op­tion


THE dis­traught par­ents of Durban busi­ness­man Kidesh Ram­jet­tan, who was gunned down out­side his petrol sta­tion in Au­gust, are con­tem­plat­ing whether to re­turn to South Africa.

They are liv­ing with a rel­a­tive in Mau­ri­tius and are con­sid­er­ing their fu­ture, said Ram­jet­tan’s elder brother Anesh Bal­raj.

The trig­ger­man, Ayanda Shezi, was handed a life sen­tence in the Durban re­gional court on Fri­day for killing Ram­jet­tan.

He said he was promised R30 000 to kill the 34-year-old but re­ceived only R12 000 for the con­tract killing.

Bal­raj said al­though they wel­comed the sen­tence, his par­ents were strug­gling to deal with their son’s death.

“When the ac­cused were ar­rested and the court pro­ceed­ings were about to start, my brother Omesh and I de­cided it was bet­ter they leave the coun­try than sit here and worry. They are with my dad’s sis­ter in Mau­ri­tius.”

He said his par­ents, who were re­lieved when they were told about the sen­tenc­ing, re­lied on Ram­jet­tan for their care and of­ten ques­tioned why he was shot.

Bal­raj said Ram­jet­tan’s wife cried con­tin­u­ally and was “tak­ing it one day at a time”.

A day be­fore sen­tenc­ing, Shezi, 37, a taxi driver in Jo­han­nes­burg, pleaded guilty to the mur­der.

Ram­jet­tan, who owned Glaze Mo­tors in Ross­burgh, was talk­ing to a cus­tomer when he was shot in the back of the neck. The hit was cap­tured on CCTV.

Shezi’s le­gal aid at­tor­ney, San­jeev Juglal, said his client ac­cepted the job be­cause he needed the money.

He said Shezi had four chil­dren to sup­port and the R2 000 he earned as a taxi driver was in­suf­fi­cient.

The court was also told Shezi’s aunt had died and the fam­ily did not have money for the fu­neral.

This prompted him to ac­cept the job. Mag­is­trate Sa­muel Luthuli said it was clear greed was the mo­tive for the heinous of­fence.

“The shoot­ing was pre­planned in Jo­han­nes­burg. The ac­cused came, did the shoot­ing and went to his home­stead in Ulundi, where he lived for three days. He there­after went back home and con­tin­ued with life. After his ar­rest (after two months), he made the con­fes­sion.

“I am not sat­is­fied that he was truly re­morse­ful for the shoot­ing. If he was, why did he not hand him­self over to po­lice when he re­alised he did some­thing wrong?”

The two oth­ers im­pli­cated in the mur­der, Men­ziwa Mdaka and Zakhele Dubazane, are in Westville prison. They are due in court on Novem­ber 22, when a date for a bail ap­pli­ca­tion is ex­pected to be set.

Kidesh Ram­jet­tan

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.