Hoping to shatter the box office this Diwali
THERE are predictions that the big Diwali release for this year, Thugs of Hindostan, is set to create history at the box office and shatter numerous records. We decided to bring you 10 interesting facts about this eagerly awaited blockbuster that is set to be the biggest entertainer of the year.
● The movie marks the historic casting of two of the greatest legends of Indian cinema – Amitabh Bachchan and Aamir Khan – who team up for the first time. There were plans to feature in a movie titled Rishtey more than two decades ago, but that project was sadly shelved. The two powerhouse actors have trained in different action forms to get their scenes to perfection.
● Thugs of Hindostan is produced by Yash Raj Pictures and directed by Vijay Krishna Acharya. It’s the same combination that also delivered the blockbuster Dhoom 3, that also featured Khan and Katrina Kaif in lead roles.
● Bachchan plays the role of freedom fighter Khudabaksh, while Khan plays the devious Firangi Malla. Dangal debut actress Fatima Sana Sheikh plays the warrior Zafira. Kaif plays the dancer Suraiyya.
● Set in the year 1975, this Diwali entertainer traces the grand adventure facing a group of thugs who seek freedom from the British rule. Shooting for the movie moved from India to Malta, and to the rainforest of Thailand.
● While two huge ships were specially constructed for the movie, they were considered to be among the lead “characters”. The two ships have been built with an international team in keeping with the style from the 18th century. More than 1 000 people worked on the construction.
● The movie is apparently inspired by Philip Meadows Taylor’s novel Confessions of a Thug that was published in 1839. Director Acharya denied taking any inspiration from the novel, claiming the movie was a work of fiction.
● Known to be a perfectionist, Khan pierced his nose and ears to give his character an authentic look. There are rumours that his role was first offered to Hrithik Roshan.
● The trailer was released on September 27 to coincide with the birthday of the late legendary filmmaker, Yash Chopra, the founder of Yash Raj Productions. Within 24 hours, the trailer exceeded the 30 million view mark on YouTube.
● Described as a visual spectacle, the movie will release in IMAX and 3D format, and is rumoured to be the most costly Bollywood production – with an estimated budget of $42 million. The movie will release in Hindi, Tamil and Telugu.
● Fresh from the success of Dhadak, music composers Ajay-Atul have created the soundtrack, which includes the current blockbuster Suraiyya.
The highly acclaimed Prabhudeva has handled some of the electrifying choreography.
Until next week, Happy Diwali and here’s a reminder to book your tickets in advance!
● Bunseelal is the founder of Star Attraction and the official representative of Colors TV in South Africa. He is also a movie critic and presenter of the Breakfast Show on Eastwave Radio. Write to him at firstname.lastname@example.org
THUGS of Hindustan