● The Pietermaritzburg School of Fashion Design will host Fashion Unravelled at the Pietermaritzburg City Hall on December 1 from 7pm. It will showcase the designs of students. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
● A public talk, titled “Learning to Let Go – Real Freedom from Stress”, with visiting teacher and Buddhist Monk Gen Kelsang Pagpa, will take place on November 14 at the Kloof Country Club from 7pm. Call 031 266 0096 or email info@ meditatindurban.org.
● The ex-residents of Cornubia Estate are invited to a reunion at the Mariemmen Temple Hall in Mount Edgecombe on November 17 at 1pm. Call Jayce at 082 461 5478.
● The 1860 Indentured Labourers Foundation Verulam will commemorate its 10th anniversary with a conference that will pay homage to the 1860 Indian forebears and observe the 100th anniversary of Nelson Mandela’s birth, on November 17 at the Sastri College Education and Convention Centre. Speakers at the conference, billed “From Indenture to Mandela & Freedom”, will include Professor Goolam Vahed (an overview of the history of indenture); Betty Govinden (role of women in indenture); Professor Rajend Mesthrie (languages in indenture); Professor Kalpana Hiralal (education in indenture); and Professor Ashwin Desai (influence of indenture on South Africans of Indian descent). Call Shirley at 082 081 7010.
● The Hillgrove Vishnu Shakti Mandir holds yoga classes every Wednesday from 7pm to 8pm at the AMF Hall in Hillgrove, Newlands West.
● The second Gopio International Youth Conference will take place from December 14 to 16 in Port Dickson. It is open to people of Indian origin youth between the ages of 17 and 25. For enquiries, call the South African co-ordinator, Jimmy Moodley, on 083 598 3150.
● The Sathie Sanmarka Sungum of SA will hold its annual Skandhan Shasti Prayer from November 8 to 13 in Woodhurst, Chatsworth, from 8.30am.