Mom killed on daugh­ter’s wed­ding day

Road rage blamed for hit-and-run tragedy


HOURS be­fore she could re­alise her dream of watch­ing her el­dest daugh­ter walk down the aisle, an Isipingo Beach mother was killed in a hit-and-run ac­ci­dent on the N2 near Hig­gin­son High­way.

Nas­reen Khan, 48, an ad­min­is­tra­tor at a con­struc­tion com­pany, was trav­el­ling in her Hyundai i20 to Pe­ter Mok­aba (Ridge) Road with her daugh­ters, Nabeela, 23, Thas­miya, 18, and Maseeha, 13, when they be­came vic­tims of an al­leged road rage at­tack, on Sun­day af­ter­noon.

They were on their way to a rel­a­tive’s home to have their hair and make-up done for Nabeela’s wed­ding on Sun­day evening at the Elan­geni Ho­tel.

Her dis­traught hus­band Has­san Khan claimed Nas­reen was try­ing to over­take a ve­hi­cle, a white Ford Fo­cus, when the ac­ci­dent hap­pened. He said he had spo­ken to his daugh­ters and they had re­layed the de­tails pre­ced­ing the ac­ci­dent.

“Ac­cord­ing to Nabeela, the driver of the Ford Fo­cus be­gan swear­ing at my wife. He even showed her a rude ges­ture with his fin­ger. It seemed as if he did not want her to over­take him. He sud­denly slammed on his brakes. Nas­reen hit into his ve­hi­cle from the back. Her car som­er­saulted and landed on its roof.” He said the driver of the Ford Fo­cus fled the scene.

Nas­reen sus­tained se­vere in­juries to her chest and body and died at the scene. Nabeela and Thas­miya sus­tained mi­nor in­juries to their faces. Maseeha’s nose was bro­ken and she had se­vere lac­er­a­tions on her back. She was ad­mit­ted to hos­pi­tal but dis­charged on Mon­day in time for her mother’s fu­neral.

With tears in his eyes, Khan said their joy had turned to sor­row.

“My wife was so ex­cited about the wed­ding. It was all she talked about and she spent most of her time mak­ing sure Nabeela had ev­ery­thing she wanted for her spe­cial day.

“Nabeela, on the other hand, wanted to walk in her mother’s foot­steps. We mar­ried when her mother was 23 and yes­ter­day (Tues­day) we would have cel­e­brated our 25th wed­ding an­niver­sary. Nabeela chose De­cem­ber 16 to have her wed­ding be­cause the date was close to our an­niver­sary.”

Khan said Nas­reen wanted ev­ery­thing to be per­fect and had been plan­ning her daugh­ter’s spe­cial day from last year.

“Hours be­fore the ac­ci­dent we went to the venue to drop off the dresses and other items.

“I can still re­mem­ber how she was beam­ing with pride at the sight of Nabeela’s dress. We went ahead with the re­li­gious wed­ding cer­e­mony (Nikkah) on Sun­day but can­celled the re­cep­tion.”

Khan said in Is­lam, mar­riage was sa­cred and no mat­ter what, a wed­ding cer­e­mony had to go on.

“We also be­lieve this is what she would have wanted. We know God takes away peo­ple for a rea­son but in this case we need those re­spon­si­ble to be brought to book.

“They have no idea what their ac­tions have done to our fam­ily.”

His brother-in-law Faruk Ebrahim has ap­pealed for wit­nesses to come for­ward.

“We need to en­sure that driver is caught. This is a hit-and-run. We have made an ap­peal on so­cial me­dia for wit­nesses to come for­ward but we have not re­ceived any con­crete in­for­ma­tion to date.”

Po­lice spokesper­son Cap­tain Nqo­bile Gwala said a case of cul­pa­ble homi­cide was be­ing in­ves­ti­gated.

Any­one with in­for­ma­tion about the crash can con­tact Ebrahim on 084 402 5623.


Nas­reen Khan, right, and hus­band Has­san at their daugh­ter Nabeela’s mendhi (henna) cer­e­mony on Satur­day night, less than 24 hours be­fore she died in the crash.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.